Navy SEAL Ian Dunn went rogue in a big way when he turned his talents to a lawless life of jewel heists and con jobs - or so the world has been led to believe. In reality, the former Special Ops warrior is still fighting for good, leading a small band of freelance covert operatives who take care of high-stakes business in highly unofficial ways. That makes Ian the hands-down choice when the US government must breach a heavily guarded embassy and rescue a pair of children kidnapped by their own father, a sinister foreign national willing to turn his kids into casualties. Shockingly, Ian passes on the mission for reasons he will not - or cannot - reveal.
But saying no is not an option - especially not for Phoebe Kruger, Ian's beautiful and unexpectedly brash new attorney. Determined to see the abducted children set free, Phoebe not only gets Ian on board but insists on riding shotgun on his Mission: Impossible - style operation, whether he likes it or not.
Though Phoebe has a valuable knack for getting out of tight spots, there's no denying the intensely intimate feelings growing between Ian and Phoebe as the team gears up for combat. But these are feelings they both must fight to control as they face an array of cold-blooded adversaries, including a vindictive Mob boss who's got Ian at the top of his hit list and a wealthy psychopath who loves murder as much as he loves money. As they dodge death squads and play lethal games of deception, Ian and Phoebe will do whatever it takes to save the innocent and vanquish the guilty - or die trying.
Regular price: £27.09
Buy Now with 1 Credit
Buy Now for £27.09
Customer ReviewsMost Helpful
By Mrs on 09-09-17
To me Lawlor
Love your performance but can I, as a Dutch person give you one tiny bit of advice. When doing a Dutch accent. Try 'st' as sh sound. If you want to roll your R's with putting tongue against both sides of teeth and G as if you are scraping your throat grrravy. Besides the fact that I thought he sounded Russian, the rest was ace. Loved it. Enjoyed it immensely. Both performances were brilliant
By Gail on 18-11-15
Excellent escape from reality
Would you recommend this audiobook to a friend? If so, why?
Already have... its full rounded characters including the minor ones, the verbal sparring and humour and exciting action - fantastic narration by both really brought the book to technicolour mind pictures - perfect
Who was your favorite character and why?
I really didnt have a favorite because all the characters were entertaining
Which character – as performed by Patrick Lawlor and Melanie Ewbank – was your favourite?
If you made a film of this book, what would be the tag line be?
no idea - thats why Im not a writer!
Any additional comments?
what value for one credit ! have listened to it twice now - about two months apart and feven the second time enjoyed every single moment as i did the first time but the second really appreciated the skill of the narrators.
Customer ReviewsMost Helpful
By Red Apple Reader on 07-03-14
Suzanne Brockmann hits another out of ballpark!
Congratulations to Suzanne Brockmann--DO OR DIE rocked ALL FIVE stars.
TOP REASONS WHY IT EARNED A FIVE STAR REVIEW FROM ME:
* Patrick Lawlor and Melanie Ewbank are extraordinariliy good matches to Brockmann's writing. Their performance is always 3-D and truly extraordinary-- this book was no exception to that rule.
Amazing, 3-D characterizations that remained true to themselves.
* Tightly interwoven, multiple plot lines and multiple point-of-view characters--and it was easy to follow, and WORKED.
* Beautiful balance of suspense, romance, thriller elements, military aspects.
* Pacing in this action-packed book was ideal....quiet, introspective, share-my-background-with-you-because-I'm-falling-in-love-with-you scenes were offset by action scenes that rocked.
* It was fun to see beloved secondary characters (like Yoshi, Martell Griffin, and Jules Cassidy--even if he was only mentioned in passing).
* Dialogue and tags written like the consummate professional Brockmann is.
* Plot twists and turns that kept me guessing. While events were beautifully foreshadowed, events didn't go as planned, didn't unravel the way I'd anticipated--I liked that!
* Ultra-rewarding comeuppance for the bad guys.
* Hard-won happy endings....and the sense of an optimistic-next-step for the romances. Without an unrealistic "let's get married--right now" kind of wrap-up, I had the complete confidence the romantic couples will be just fine in the future. That's all I need!
* This book is a superb opening to a new series (Reluctant Heroes)...and WOW...did Ian Dunn's story illustrate what a reluctant hero he is!
* For me, this book delivered 100% on its promise...from the book description/blurb, from my past experience devouring ALL of Suzanne Brockmann's Troubleshooter series (and even older works). Brockmann just keeps getting better and better.
* Characters face serious conflict, and they triumph by hard work, teamwork, trial and error....and EARNED the solutions.
HIGHLY RECOMMENDED to fans of Suzanne Brockmann, fans of military romantic suspense, thrillers, romantic suspense....virtually anyone who loves an excellent book.
11 of 11 people found this review helpful
By Joel WZ on 19-07-15
Slow starting, scripting was bad
Would you recommend Do or Die to your friends? Why or why not?
I would not recommend, the slow start made it not worth the read.
What didn’t you like about Patrick Lawlor and Melanie Ewbank ’s performance?
Melanie's delivery was stronger than Patrick's often overshadowing his delivery. The scripting was pretty bad. When you have a female and male performers, you should let the male read the male parts and the female the female parts. In this scripting, it was mixed, with both male and female performers reading both male and female, many times the same performer reading the same character.
You didn’t love this book... but did it have any redeeming qualities?
Decent story after the slow start.
Any additional comments?
After a slow start, it did get better. If I didn't have the speed adjustment where I could listen at 1.5 times the normal speed, I would have never made it.
7 of 7 people found this review helpful