Regular price: £15.09
Buy Now with 1 Credit
Buy Now for £15.09
Customer ReviewsMost Helpful
By Chris Mower on 04-01-16
Give It a Chance
This hasn't been my favorite book, but overall, it's a good story. The story started off slow and I found the characters frustrating. It was also a bit predictable. At first I thought I'd be returning it, but decided to keep going. By the end, the writing had improved and the overall story was much better.
* It provides some different perspectives on life.
* Introduces you to some different ways of thinking, even if they are frustrating.
* Simple writing. I think the book could easily be read and understood by someone in 6th grade on up.
* Was a touching story, even though it was a bit cliché.
* Story is really simplistic, which made it less captivating.
* The narration took some getting used to and detracted from the story.
* Found the character's personalities to be a little too conveniently crafted to tell the story, which made it harder to identify with them.
6 of 6 people found this review helpful
By BR on 23-02-16
Good story but has some issues
I thought this was a good story and has some good messages. I found myself getting a little emotional at times as I was listening because of the strong themes of friendship, motherhood, and kindness. However, I was quite distracted by the reader. The fake accent and breathy reading made it difficult to connect with the reader. Also, throughout the book the author used many English/American phrases or sayings which made it difficult for me to find the story authentic to Cambodian culture. At times these phrases were used so often and in such an obvious way that I found myself rolling my eyes as I listened to the story.
All that said, the story itself was still good enough that I wanted to keep listening and I finished the book.
5 of 5 people found this review helpful