Regular price: £6.59
Buy Now with 1 Credit
Buy Now for £6.59
The book is organized in a simple, logical structure. It is divided into three parts: understanding focus, creating an environment for focus, and employing tactics to focus. It is important to experiment and select the techniques that work for you. The common causes for a lack of focus are lack of interest, negative emotions, poor organization, low energy levels, and lack of control. The top 10 obstacles to staying focused are mental fatigue, restlessness (boredom or feeling of anxiety), stress, interruptions, lack of mental clarity, unresolved problems, poor planning, physical clutter, social media (unable to resist checking apps), and your smartphone (when it rings or vibrates).
Some elements to consider when creating an environment that will help you to fight distractions and concentrate:
1. Have sufficient lighting and take advantage of natural light
2. Minimize background noise that breaks your concentration (e.g., wearing headphones to listen to classical music or white noise to drown out conversations around you)
3. Be comfortable (e.g., fit of your clothes, height of chair and desk, and position of the monitor)
4. Ambient temperature (environment that is too warm or too cold temperature could affect productivity)
5. Air quality (get fresh air)
6. Scents that may improve mood - peppermint, cinnamon, pine, rosemary, basil, citrus, lavender, and cypress
7. Organize your workspace to allow you to focus on your work
8. Have a clock visible to track the time you allotted for tasks
There are 23 tactics that can help improve your focus, such as set a timer, have five daily tasks, exercise, capture ideas quickly, identify triggers that lead to distractions, commit to single tasks, batch process similar tasks, arrange calendar into time chunks, disconnect, meditate, and create routines.
17 of 17 people found this review helpful
I loved this book and it was very helpful in getting me organized with my full time job and going to graduate school.
3 of 3 people found this review helpful