Winter Soldier: Iraq and Afghanistan
- Eyewitness Accounts of the Occupations
- Narrated by: Brian Sutherland, Julia Farhat, Edoardo Ballerini, Suzanne Toren, Peter Ganim, Stephen Bel Davies, Matthew Dudley, Jonathan Davis, Lameece Issaq, Anthony Haden Salerno, Karen Chilton, Gabra Zackman, Lauren Fortgang, Anthony Bowden, Ira Rosenberg, David Ledoux, Vikas Adam
- Length: 7 hrs and 25 mins
- Unabridged Audiobook
- Release date: 27-12-12
- Language: English
- Publisher: Audible Studios
In spring 2008, inspired by the Vietnam-era Winter Soldier hearings, Iraq Veterans Against the War gathered veterans to expose war crimes in Afghanistan and Iraq. Here are the powerful words, images, and documents of this historic gathering, which show the reality of life in Afghanistan and Iraq.
Iraq Veterans Against the War argues that well-publicized incidents of American brutality like the Abu Ghraib prison scandal and the massacre of an entire family of Iraqis in the town of Haditha are not the isolated incidents perpetrated by “a few bad apples,” as many politicians and military leaders have claimed. They are part of a pattern, the group says, of “an increasingly bloody occupation.”
"Here is the war as it should be reported, seeing the pain, refusing to sanitize an unprovoked attack that has killed over one million people. All over America are victims who have returned from this conflict with hideous wounds - wounds that turn the lives of the entire family upside down.
And the American people are not seeing this. Until now.
Regular price: £19.39
Buy Now with 1 Credit
Buy Now for £19.39
Some more like this
- More Narrated by Brian Sutherland
- More Narrated by Julia Farhat
- More Narrated by Edoardo Ballerini
- More Narrated by Suzanne Toren
- More Narrated by Peter Ganim
- More Narrated by Stephen Bel Davies
- More Narrated by Matthew Dudley
- More Narrated by Jonathan Davis
- More Narrated by Lameece Issaq
- More Narrated by Anthony Haden Salerno
- More Narrated by Karen Chilton
- More Narrated by Gabra Zackman
- More Narrated by Lauren Fortgang
- More Narrated by Anthony Bowden
- More Narrated by Ira Rosenberg
- More Narrated by David Ledoux
- More Narrated by Vikas Adam
Customer ReviewsMost Helpful
By Susie on 15-01-13
Iraq & Afghanistan Vets Tell It Like It Is
You will NEVER hear these stories on the front page of the family newspaper— they're certainly not on the broadcast TV news.
These important, often tragic stories from the front tell not only of the war crimes and tresspasses in the combat zones, but of the institutionalized military culture that changes every outcome, often at great personal expense.
In matter-of-fact, un-sensationalized voices, we get the view from the Front and from within.
The studio team at Audible did a terrific job casting this audiobook— it comes alive with multiple voices that sound like the amazing diversity of the book: every region of America, every race and class, men and women, young and old.
8 of 8 people found this review helpful
By Marissa on 27-10-15
The book was very good but almost all the introductions were missing, which made the listening to the book less enjoyable.