Still haunted by the betrayal that forced her to leave a prestigious law firm, Caroline Auden struggles to keep her fledgling practice afloat - and her paranoia in check. When her grandmother dies, she mourns losing the only constant in her life. But grief soon turns to suspicion when she discovers her grandmother left her entire estate - including a valuable antique watch, the family's sole heirloom - to a charity called Oasis Care. On the surface, Oasis helps society's outcasts, like Caroline's alcoholic, homeless uncle. But as she digs deeper, Caroline uncovers a sinister plot that sends her running for her life on the dangerous streets of Los Angeles.
Plunged into a world of addicts and broken souls and operating without a phone or a computer, Caroline finds sanctuary with her uncle and a ragtag group of outcasts while building evidence for her case. As she sifts through the shadowy world of the Goliath nonprofit, Caroline is also forced to confront her own dark shadows, casting doubt on her ability - and her sanity.
Regular price: £19.39
Buy Now with 1 Credit
Buy Now for £19.39
Customer ReviewsMost Helpful
By Trudy Owens on 30-06-17
predictable but interesting, not great
The only surprise is how her grandmother died. The rest is standard corruption, take out the whistle blowers, get to court before they kill you. It is an interesting time-passer, but nothing new or different.
Story errors: 1) police do not put out an APB on an adult because you miss an appointment. They always say that adults are allowed to do what they want, and you must wait at least 24 hours before they will act. 2) Los Angeles temperatures are not 80 degrees in the day and then frosty breath in the morning.
The only redeeming thing from the story is the empathy the main character develops towards street people, and towards her uncle.
The narrator is quite good 80% of the time. The other 20% is hair-pulling annoying emphasis on the wrong words. You are supposed to stress the important words in a sentence; she might hit one and then slide down the rest of the sentence, or not hit the right word at all. For example, her intonation went down from "LEANING against the doorframe" (with "doorframe" so inconsequential as to be unnecessary) instead of "LEANING against the DOORframe."
I probably wouldn't bother with other books by author or narrator.
3 of 3 people found this review helpful
By Wayne on 19-07-17
Excellent legal suspense thriller
Proof is book 2 in the attorney Caroline Auden legal thriller series by C.E. Tobisman. When Caroline's grandmother dies a recent handwritten will is discovered leaving her entire estate including family keepsakes to a "charitable organization" for whom her most recent caregiver worked. When Caroline investigates she finds that the organization is all about making money for its owner by encouraging the elderly to leave their estates to them. The persons who hand write their wills seem to always die soon after. There is not a lot of action in Proof but there is suspense. The story itself has interesting characters and is very well told. Narration is excellent.
6 of 7 people found this review helpful